Your organization must register with the Yale College Dean’s Office if your undergraduate group
- conducts meetings periodically,
- sponsors activities on the campus of Yale University,
- provides a service, or
- raises funds within the University for charitable purposes.
Not sure if you should register? Find out more on the privileges of registration.
Are you a graduate or professional student seeking more information? Find out more about starting a non-undergraduate student group.
Registration is an annual requirement and returning organizations are required to renew their registration annually. Once approved, an organization’s registration remains valid until the following academic year. All registered student organizations must abide by the Undergraduate Regulations.
- Have a minimum of five undergraduate members
- Maintain up-to-date group information in the Yale Connect platform, including an up-to-date constitution, a roster of current members, and all current and former officers updated at least every semester and/or when leadership transitions
- Have one officer attend a mandatory training once during the academic year
- Maintain regular contact with their assigned Student Organizations Consultant
- Inform the Yale College Dean’s Office of the organization’s activities at least two times each academic year, usually by completing surveys administered at the end of each semester, which includes an end of the year financial summary
- Comply with the Undergraduate Regulations
Re-Registering an Existing Organization
Registration is ordinarily valid for one academic year. However, if a student organization wishes to change its activities from those outlined in their registration or alter aspects of their group, then the organization must update its information online for review and approval.
At least one officer of each organization will be required to mandatory training sponsored by the Yale College Dean’s Office for specific information about the privileges and responsibilities of registered groups.
Questions? Contact your Student Organizations Consultant and/or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Registering a New Organization
The application to register a new organization in the Fall 2022 semester is now open. Find it here: Intent to Register Application
The deadline to apply is Friday, September 9 at 11:59pm.
Once applications are approved, the organization will be informed and the YCDO will create the organization’s initial Yale Connect portal. The organization’s portal must be completed by its leadership by the end of its onboarding year.
The organization’s portal registration form will be developed in consultation with their assigned SOC and will require, among other things, a description of the purposes of the organization, a constitution and/or set of bylaws, and the identification of officers or other leaders. At least 5 undergraduate members of the new organization will be required to confirm their membership or the organization will not be approved. Organizations must provide a completed constitution and Yale Connect portal/registration form by the end of their onboarding year.
To help new student organizations establish a foundation and ensure all questions are answered, we have launched a required onboarding process. Once registration is approved, YCDO will be in touch to begin the onboarding process.
Organizations that are established for the purpose of selling or renting items or paying students cannot be registered student organizations, but may be able to operate as Associated Student Agencies.
Questions? Contact email@example.com.
Revocation or Suspension of Registration
An organization’s registration may be revoked or suspended if the group has not abided by the Undergraduate Regulations, by the organization’s registration, or has not met registration requirements.
Registration may also be revoked or suspended if a student organization or its officers fail to meet any financial obligations of the organization in a timely manner.