Each SOC is assigned a caseload of student groups, organized by activity, that they assist over the course of the academic year. Which kinds of groups an SOC is assigned will depend on the consultant’s previous experience, skills, personal preference, and the office’s needs. In addition to serving as the main contact for their student organizations, consultants will also work on projects defined by the Assistant Director of Student Affairs, with the goal of creating a robust support system for student organizations.
Consultants should be highly organized, self-directing, great communicators, and consistently proactive. They should be eager to collaborate with a wide range of personalities.
- Manage several categories of student organizations, which may involve:
- Maintaining regular communication with the president and treasurer of each organization, acting as the key contact fielding logistical questions.
- Acting as a liaison between the Yale College Dean’s Office and student groups
- Meeting with new student organizations during their Onboarding Year, the process new organizations must complete to attain full recognition by Yale College.
- Supporting groups in their event planning.
- Advising student organizations in the process of finding and managing funding.
- Helping their caseload understand and navigate Yale Connect, powered by Campus Groups.
- Supporting long-term group development by helping organizations set and reach goals.
- Lead workshops to support the growth and health of organizations.
- Participate in a weekly meeting with the Assistant Director of Student Affairs to articulate the global needs of student organizations, receive ongoing training and professional development, and strategically plan campus-wide endeavors pertaining to student organizations.
- Undertake short and long term projects for the benefit of student organizations at Yale.
- Support the planning and execution of the Student Organizations Bazaars in Fall and Spring, as well as Organization Training events.
Yale College Class of 2024, 2025, 2026
Previous involvement (especially leadership) with Yale student organization(s)
Highly organized and detail-oriented
Proactive and flexible
Great communicator and approachable
Comfortable and willing to communicate over email
Excellent time-management skills
High variability from 3-10 hours a week, with an average of 6 hours a week. Most work done remotely.
Become a Student Organizations Consultant