Risk Management and Insurance

LegalBelow, you’ll find some information about managing risks for your group and handling insurance requests. 
Please note that Yale does not provide legal counsel to student organizations. If your group is in need of legal assistance you will need to engage an outside attorney.

Risk Management & Insurance

Most registered undergraduate organizations are covered by a general liability insurance policy purchased by the University. However, fraternities and sororities are not covered by this policy. They, and affiliates of other national organizations, are expected to receive primary insurance coverage from their national organization.

Be sure to read the Certificate of Liability Insurance that covers all registered undergraduate organizations.

If you are planning a large event, please note that external vendors you contract for services are expected to submit proof of liability insurance in the form of a certificate of insurance. This insurance must indicate that Yale University is named as an additional insured.

More information for Registration Student Organizations from the Office of Risk Management.

If you have further risk-related questions, contact your Student Organization Consultant or Marjorie Lemmon (Risk Manager) at marjorie.lemmon@yale.edu.