Using this Guide
All student organizations registered with the Yale College Dean’s Office are welcomed to reserve space on campus. On campus space is managed by several different departments, offices, and individuals. Most classrooms used by undergraduate groups are assigned by the Registrar’s Office.
Please note that classrooms may not be reserved more than a day in advance during shopping period (the first three weeks of every semester). During this time, the Registrar’s Office gives preference to scheduling classes. If you need to use a space during this time, please seek non-classroom spaces not controlled by the Registrar’s Office.
This how-to will help you reserve space if:
- You would like to reserve one classroom or multiple classrooms for one day and time.
- You would like to make a recurring reservation of the same classroom at the same time, on the same day, throughout a semester.
If you would like to reserve multiple rooms over several days and times for the same event—such as for a conference—please complete this form instead.
How to Reserve Rooms Using Yale Connect
1. Go to your organization’s portal. From the homepage, you can always find your organization’s portal by clicking on “My Memberships” in the upper-most blue bar.
2. On your portal’s homepage, click “Events” in the menu bar.
3. On your Events page, click “Create an Event” on the right-hand side of your screen.
4. You have now entered the Event Registration Form. To begin, fill out the event name, choose an event category, and complete an event description. These categories will all be viewable to the public.
5. The next section is where you will choose your date, time and reserve your classroom space. If you will be using a non-classroom space for your event, such as a Residential College space, a theater, or an outdoor venue, click here to skip to the next step.
Begin by choosing the date and time your event will begin and end. If you have regularly recurring meetings, you can choose “repeating” and reserve spaces for the same day and time every week.
If you would like to reserve a classroom space, click “Yes” to the question “Do you need to reserve space on campus?” Add setup and teardown time as needed.
To see all available spaces, click “Choose Space.” A pop-up window will appear.
You can set a minimum capacity of people, filter by available rooms, and search for specific buildings. Once you’ve found the room you want, click “Available-Request Reservation.”
The room you’ve chosen will appear under “Requested Space.”
Choose an applicable “Reservation Category” to inform the Registrar’s Office of the types of activities taking place in the room. This category is not publicly available and is instead used for tracking and reporting purposes, so no need to think too much about this category.
If you need more than one more room during the same time, you may choose “Reserve Another Space.” However, if you are requesting several rooms over several days or times, such as for a conference, please fill out this form in order to request your rooms.
Note: Your room reservation will not be submitted until you have completed and submitted the entire Event Registration Form.
Please note that if you would like your event to be featured in the Yale College calendar available here and here, you should make your event viewable by “Yale University” or “Public + Website” and choose “Request inclusion on Yale College Events list to reach more people.”
6. If you will be using a non-classroom space for your event, such as a Residential College space, a theater, or an outdoor venue, click “No.”
Please note that if you would like your event to be featured in the Yale College calendar available here and here, you should make your event viewable by Yale University and/or “Public + Website” and choose “Request inclusion on Yale College Events list to reach more people.”
7. After clicking “Create an Event,” you will be re-directed to a Yale College specific form.
The Yale College specific form will take 5-15 minutes to complete, depending on the nature of your event. The form will ask you questions about your event aimed at ensuring all appropriate reviewers will be contacted. This means that you no longer need to personally contact Yale departments to seek approval. For example, if the Fire Marshall needs to approve your event, they will be added as a reviewer to your form and can ask questions directly through Yale Connect.
For this reason, please make sure to click “A student group organizing an on-campus event, party, off-campus event, or meeting?” If you do not choose student organization, your event and room request will both be denied and the process will be delayed.
8. After answering all necessary questions, you will see a page titled “You’re Almost Done.” Make sure to click “Finish” to submit your event form.
9. You will be redirected to your event’s page. All events will need to be approved by the Yale College Dean’s Office. If you requested a space, the Registrar’s Office will need to approve your space. You can expect approvals, questions, or denials within 2 business days and should note that complicated events may take longer before appearing on the calendar.
Do you have questions about the event request process or an event you submitted? Contact your student organizations consultant or email@example.com.